Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Design Choices in Comics

The first thing I noticed about Asterios Polyp was its extremely bizarre, but also strangely charming aesthetic. Being an art student, I think it helped me appreciate the craft and skill it took David Mazzucchelli to control the sheer diversity of visual styles. Each character had a very unique and individual appeal, and this was taken even further by giving even their voices personality in the way the type was presented.
As I read further into the novel, I found myself smiling in awe of how deep one could look at the story in its entirety. In a word, I would call Asterios Polyp sophisticated. Everything from the bold design choices, to the pessimistic message of the story, rung out glorious sounds of sophisticated realism. The fact that things don’t turn out well for the protagonist in the end, the idea that everyone in the comic (and in real life) has a different “design”, the subtle changes in the palette to convey the mood, everything, and I mean everything appears to be meticulously considered, and is therefore, very meaningful.

By far, I believe this to be the most interesting take on a graphic novel I’ve ever experienced. The level of consideration for the design styles, and the ability to unify them all together requires impressive skill and knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment